Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day 2 in Villa de San Antonio

Today, we stopped at the Exxon on the way to the village. Jamie got a Mancha Mancha, or moon pie in English. Of course it was made in Mexico. I had an "American Donut."
When we got to the village, the day started with a bang as we only had 30 people or so waiting for us before we even opened the doors. I spent most of the day assessing patients with an interpreter. We saw about 75 today, with ailments ranging from high bp to diabetes. We gave out around 30 pairs of glasses as well.
We saw lots of babies today ranging from 5 months to 2 years. The main afflictions today was parasitic infections, scabies, other fungi, and upper respiratory infections. We also treated a baby that had confirmed hepatitis at birth. What really stands out is that some of these folks have had these problems for years, many of which would be treated in a day in the U.S. A lot have been to the national hospitals, which are free, but can't afford the medicine that is prescribed. Hey Obama, this is how socialized medicine works! The look on their faces when they find the have no charge for the doctor or the meds is priceless. Jamie had fun today carrying babies around and playing with them in the park.
We were so busy, I didn't get to see what anyone else did, but I know a lot of smiling babies got off the bus when we were picked up at the clinic so I am sure they had a grand time.
Each day, the kids are bused to the park for Bible school, and brought back to the village afterwards.
I got a lot of great picture of the erupting volcano just outside of Antigua.
We had our first rain of the week on the way back.
Amy did tonight's devotion and we had a fun "team building exercise."
We were treated to an authentic Guatemalan meal tonight prepared by one of our interpreters. Thank you Claudia ! Her daughter has lupus, so she is retiring to take care of her. She has a wonderful family. Please remember her in your prayers. I miss my wife and my other babies! Skype is hit and miss at best and our conversations have been difficult. Well, I have gone to sleep twice typing this so I guess it is my bedtime. Goodnight everyone !

No comments:

Post a Comment