Sunday, July 24, 2011

Off day in Antigua at the Straw Market

Well, It was an eventful day in Antigua as we started with a church service at the cross overlooking the city. John Grigsby from Graveston delivered the message as we were serenaded by a marching band in the village just to the west.
We then journeyed to the village to shop in the straw market. Our interpretor, Amy was very helpful as she first led us to the dvd store at my request where I got Transformers 3 and Cars 2 for Wyatte for $1.25 each.
We then went into the inside market where I think Amy Rosine finished her Christmas shopping.
Sara and Jamie both got colored braids woven into their hair. I helped a couple of the other groups find Cuban cigars. We ate lunch at Pollo Comprero, some of the best chicken on the planet. In the play area, Jamie and Sarah gave out silly bands to the children and Amy made another new Guatemalan friend. I was able to find a new jade cross to replace the one that was lost, and Jamie got one as well.
My highlight of the day was finding my "Guatemalan" baby Alejandra that is in my facebook photo with me last year. She was 10 months old when I met her. Now she is running around like she owns the market. I also got to talk to my Guatemalan friend Alex who gave Mike and I a ride to the mission house from the market last year. Jamie made a new friend in the group, Jada. The three little girls sat with me at dinner in Las Palmas, a great Mexican restaurant in Antigua. It was nice to get a break from adult conversation. There was bumper to bumper traffic all the way from Antigua to the mission house, and it took us about 2 hours to get back. This gave the little ladies an opportunity to yell "hola senor" and "hola senorita" to a couple hundred Guatemalans. I should have taught them to say "how you doin !" in espanol. It was Sarah Rosine's 10th birthday today so Amy got her a little Guatemalan girl pinata and all the kids took turns taking a whack. After she dumped her candy, Amy let me punch her in the face (the pinata, not Sarah). We then had a brief meeting with Mike Parker, our host missionary to discuss the week. We broke into small groups to meet afterwards to discuss our various duties. I will be working with Amy Rosine doing triage in the medical clinic. Jamie, Sarah, Laura, Leah, Becky, and Betty will be working in VBS and helping with crafts. We will be doing construction projects in the morning as it rains in the afternoon and doing VBS later in the day. The medical will run all day as we expect a huge turnout. Please continue to keep us in your prayers as we hope to touch the lives of so many this week. God knows their need and we pray we are able to meet some or all of those needs.Thanks to everyone for following, and I will talk to you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment