Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day 3 at Villa de San Antonio

We started today with a bang as we had over 50 waiting for us when we arrived at the clinic. We ultimately saw 110 and left the village about an hour and a half after we expected. There were so many in need, and GOD had a plan for us.  I was in the doctor role today as I diagnosed and treated patients and prescribed medications. It was revealed why I wound up in this position as a sweet 9 year old came in hoping to be treated for an ear infection that she had for 3 months. It was obvious the amount of pain she was in as soon as I met her. I prescribed an antiobiotic for the infection and some pain medicine. When I explained to her how to take the meds and how they would work, she jumped around my neck and kissed me all over the cheek, and had tears rolling her face. In the clinic, the monotony can set in as you see so many people, but at that moment, I knew exactly why God put me here. We saw a little boy named Julius Caesar today. I didn't tell his mother that his friends would eventually stab him in the back. Our patients so far have ranged from 6 months to 91 years. The construction team built a house today, yes in one day. Laura and Becky worked with us in the clinic as we were overwhelmed by the amount of patients. It has been amazing to watch Amy work this week due to the amount of caring she puts into her medicine. She will forever be known as "Una Doctora." We were treated to an awesome chicken casserole for dinner tonight.  Our devotion was based on "clean hands." We each washed each others hands to signify the importance. I am so proud of Jamie and all of the other young girls here this week. They have been so independent. As many times they have been separated from their parents due to the tasks at hand, they all jumped right in and did what ever was needed. Poor Jamie was so worn out that she went to sleep in the clinic while we were seeing patients. On a final note, I just spoke with one of the guys in the dorm, and he said that near the construction site today, their was a sinkhole that was at least 100 feet across. I have to see that tomorrow.
The clinic will close at 1 tomorrow, and we will have a block party for the kids in the village. That will be a blast! Oh, I almost forgot. So far this week, three scorpions have been found in the women's dorm.

No comments:

Post a Comment